Installing and setting up Raspberry Pi is fairly easy in following steps
- Buy RasPi from Element14 / (CrazyPi in India)
- Get a SD card (>4GB) and format in FAT32 system (Windows Method / Linux Method)
- Download NOOB version of Raspberry Pi from here
- Extract and copy everything in your SD card
- Plug your HDTV/Monitor using HDMI cable / RCA Cable
- Plug the power using any micro USB mobile charger (5v , 0.7 A)
Components of Raspberry-Pi
Preparing your SD card for installing Linux variant for RasPi.
Install Gparted utility using following command
sudo apt-get install gparted
You should be able to see following screen and just select your SD card and format to FAT32.
Use SDFormatter and select your SD drive and just go for format.
After formatting just extract downloaded NOOB version and copy to your SD card.
Now plugin your RasPi to Tv/Monitor using HDMI or RCA Video cable. To connect VGA monitor you can use converter given in this tutorial
Note: Please check your charger specification it should be 5 V and ampere range between 0.7-1.2A.
Power on your charger and you should be able to see following screen after some time
Select Raspbian as recommended and proceed.
Note down default user/password : pi/raspberry
Note: If you go ahead with default option you will be in command line without any GUI. to change into GUI you just have to run command startx and you will get your GUI desktop.
Note: Raspi has only two USB port , you should be using it for keyboard and mouse for initial setup.
SD Card: Faster SD card is recommended, should be Class 10.